Friday, July 22, 2005

Made it to Havre with some cheating

I have had three flat tires since two medicine, and ran out of tubes. So I had to hitch hike to Shelby where I ran into another biker who was carrying a patch kit (something I neglected to bring), so I patched it, and thought it would be ok. Twenty miles outside of Shelby my patch failed, and I had to hitch a ride to Havre. The cool thing is hitch hiking is a real blast. Dan picked me up outside of cutbank, and drove me to several campgrounds, offered me dinner, and was very gracious. It was awesome! Then the second time some kid named Andy picked me, and drove me about 40mi. When I got into his truck he had a beer waiting for me (blue moon). Really cool The third guy was hippy artist, and provided some interesting conversation. Supposedly he had worked for the circus as a clown for many years, and had a trained chicken (road island red) name Henrietta in which he would discretely poke after telling a joke to make her squawk and wings flap. After I made it to the bike store I bought a pair of tires that guarantee they won't go flat for a year or I get free ones. While there I met another biker (AJ) heading the same direction, same age, same time schedule, and pretty similar attitude. I think it might work well. We have already discussed that the only news source trusted in this part of the world is fox news. With one of his connection we are staying in a dorm room at MSU-N, free showers, high speed internet, bed, sheets. Awesome!
Check out the picture link Spokane to Havre...

5 Comments:

At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan: Paul told me Andrew tried to knock you both off the intertubes with the boat but you hung on! You certainly are leading an adventurous life right now. Hope your tires start lasting a little longer and that your hitchhiking remains safe. At least you have met a lot of kind and warm people along the way. Take care.

 
At 5:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan:

The landscape shots in your Spokane to Havre pictures are absolutely gorgeous! Wow! It must be overwhelming to be there in person.

Was Rudyard in Montana, Idaho, or Washington? (No wonder the townsfolk are rip-roaring and raring to go--Their city appears to be in the middle of nowhere!)

I'm with Lani on the hitchhiking--Please be careful. I know that you've met some truly awesome people on your trip so far, but don't let that reality cloud your judgment. Pay attention to your gut feelings.

Be well and know that you are loved.

 
At 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan,
Absolutely beautiful pictures, each one a postcard in its own right. I will think of you tomorrow morning as I slog my way to work. I am so happy for you and for the adventure that you are able to take!
Dena

 
At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Nathan you seem to be enjoying yourself in spite of flat tires, full campgrounds and etc. I'm so glad you're met such nice people, but don't forget your Aunt Linda's advice. Sad to say there are those who are not so nice. Take care and continue to enjoy.

 
At 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see why you didn't pack a patch kit. Those things are expensive, huge and weigh a ton...oh wait.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home