Thursday, August 11, 2005

I've made it to Illinois!


I should really start taking pictures of each town welcome sign. Every town has to be known for something. For example Pelican Rapids is known for "The worlds largest pelican" of course its not real, but made out of concrete. There's the "Evergreen" town (not many evergreens), the "Christmas town" because of one big Christmas hooo haa in the beginning of December, there's the town that inspired "grumpy old men", and the town that has "The field of dreams". I slept in a town that is famous for their "Red Favre Museum" (don't know who that is). You could almost make a coffee book just from town welcome signs.
Stillwater to Wabasha
Uneventful day that ended at Slipperies the same place they eat at in "Grump old men". I was awoke in the middle of the night by an officer telling me that I was camped illegal. I was forcibly polite and asked if I could just sleep for just 5 more hours and I would then leave town. Fortunately it worked.
Wabasha to Lansing
It was very hot and humid all day long. Through out the morning gold finches were racing along side me as the Mississippi flowed in the distance. Just outside of New Albin I stop to talk with a man (Mark) picking up his garbage cans. He offered me a beer, and I didn't think twice. Apparently he is an avid homebrewer, and specializes in porters. We had a great conversation, it was a welcomed break. I ran into a couple (Zimmermans) who are doing the same route, and have a camper as their sag. Very nice folks. So I get into Lansing, and there is a huge storm brewing with hale. I began to pace the many blocks of Lansing to see if anyone would invite me in. Finally a man gave a holler and asked if I were looking for a place. He (Duane) gave me a place to park my bike, do laundry, and he even fed me lasagna. It was great! He also happened to manage the funeral home across the street and gave me a tour. It was pretty interesting. Thanks Duane!
Lansing to Cascade
Today was one of the most beautiful rides of the trip. It began by traveling next to this swamp like land that was part of the Mississippi. I saw a bald eagle, and lots of cranes. I then road to the point where Marquette and Joliet first discovered the Mississippi in 1673 (the picture above is where the two rivers meet). Took a ferry across the river, finished by riding through rolling farm land. After arriving in Cascade I found the cheapest place for greasy food and was loading up when the local bike group who was meeting there at the time asked me to come over and be the "guest speaker". I need to work on my public speaking...
Cascade to Muscatine
The day started off with showers and headwinds, but I finally made it to the border. It is exciting to look back and see the progress that has been made. I should be in Ohio by the middle of next week.

6 Comments:

At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Nate:

I may have been hallucinating while talking to your dad on the phone the other day, but I could have sworn that he said your mom was going to ride along with you in Ohio. (If she does, we'd like to see proof! Ha!)

What's up with the freaky weather vanes on those barns in your latest pictures? Did you stop to see if there was a story about them?

 
At 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,,,Nathan,,Hope all is going well with you! Sounds like it might be. I'm from Cascade, Ia,,we met at the "Narrow Gauge"! Hey,,the guy called Red Faber,,,was a Great "Spit Ball" pitcher from Cascade,that played for the White Socks. Will talk to ya more, later.
Happy travels,
bug

 
At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We thought you had us beat with the free burrito and beers.. but then we scored 30 bucks, ice cream cones, and a full bag of groceries. You obviously have some work to do.

 
At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey im rachel..im from astoria..you dont know me..but i know olaf ! hahawe are buddies! tell him i said hey andi hope to see him at SCHOOL..and that fen is going crazy without him and he cant find olafs wallet.. haah i hope you guys are all doing well! good luck with your "journey! haha alright..later dudes!

 
At 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nate:

Thanks for the postcard.

Also, I'm sure someone's called you by now, but in case they didn't. . . Rich & Chris had their baby Sunday night.

Hurry with the next journey and pictures updates. (I'm dying here and it's almost time for me to go back to work!)

Take care.

 
At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan: Thanks for the postcard! We just got back from France and are still suffering from jet lag! We rode bikes in Burgandy for very short distances through the wine country. I don't know how you are doing this!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home